St. Teresa Circuit
Mother Teresa lived in a house in East Calcutta, which is now popularly known as the "The First House of the Missionary". The foundation stone of the Missionaries of Charity was laid here. Michael Gomes and his family welcomed Mother Teresa to live with them on the second floor and pay no rent. They joyously welcomed her, supported her and also accompanied her occasionally to help others in need. Gradually 10 sisters joined her congregation and started living with Mother Teresa. This was the place where she was enlightened of taking a bigger step towards serving the poor and open 'Missionaries of Charity'.
St. Mary School (Loreto Bengali Medium School)
After her return from Darjeeling, she taught at St. Mary’s and soon became the principal. She mixed with one and all. It is said that simple gestures as placing her hand on the forehead of the child or perhaps holding the child’s hand brought her immense joy.
It was just another day in the life of Mother Teresa when she saw a lady lying unattended to her wounds beside a hospital, unable to move. Given her nature, she picked the woman up in her arms and went inside. Admission to her was denied due to her inability to pay the fees. It was later that day that the woman left for heavenly abode on the street itself. It was then, moved by the incident that Mother decided that she has to open a home for the dying.
It was on September 23, 1955, Mother Teresa opened the first Shishu Bhavan, a home for children. Located near Creek Lane, and just a short walk from the Mother House, the small unpainted bungalow was the first of several children’s homes established by the Missionaries of Charity. The infants were brought to the house, cleaned, fed, and given medical treatment, as many suffered from malnutrition and tuberculosis. By 1958, the Missionaries of Charity had established Shishu Bhavan to care for more than 90 children.
The Mother House
On October 7, 1950, the church had a new congregation in its fold: the Missionaries of Charity, headed by Mother Teresa. In February 1953, Mother Teresa and her group moved into their new residence. In tribute to their founder, the sisters called it the Mother House. It is the headquarters of the international religious congregation of the Missionaries of Charity.
St. Thomas Church
After Mother Teresa’s blessed demise at the Mother House,there was a private service at the Chapel. She was then taken to the St. Thomas’ Church (Loreto College)and kept for 7 days before her funeral. The body of Mother Teresa was laid in this church for one week prior to her funeral, in September 1997.
Gandhiji Prem Nivas
Gandhiji Prem Nivas Leprosy Centre at Titagarh was started by Mother Teresa in 1958 as a mobile clinic under a tree for an existing community of people with leprosy. On October 1960 the Titagarh Municipality leased a piece of land to establish a permanent centre. The rehabilitation work envisaged by the sisters and brothers of Missionaries of Charity, had taken into account the physical, mental, financial and spiritual alienation of leprosy patients, severely disabled and deformed, with a destiny to help them to found human dignity, self-respect and a, sense of personal response.
Mother Teresa’s First dispensary
There was a time when the city of Calcutta was gripped with a mass spread of Leprosy and it was common to disown a person with this particular disease from their family. A large number of lepers would end up in the streets eventually rotting and dying in the very streets of the city they once called home. Mother Teresa after receiving basic training started her first clinic at St. Teresa’s school near Moulali.