In 1910, the Society for the Promotion of Technical Education in Bengal which looked after Bengal Technical Institute (which later became College of Engineering and Technology, Bengal) was amalgamated to NCE. NCE henceforth looked after the College of Engineering and Technology, Bengal which by 1940 was virtually functioning as a University. After Independence, the Government of West Bengal, with the concurrence of the Govt. of India, enacted the necessary legislation to establish Jadavpur University on the 24th of December 1955.
Now Jadavpur University has successfully established itself as a foremost Indian University with a vast repertoire of courses offered, an enviable list of faculty members and has come to be known for its commitment towards advanced study and research.
Sri Aurobindo was the first Principal of the Bengal National College and among the teachers were luminaries like Rabindranath Tagore, Sir Gurudas Banerjee, Ananda Coomaraswamy, Surendra Nath Banerjee, Ramendra Sundar Trivedi, Radha Kumud Mukherjee, Benoy Kumar Sarkar, Sakharam Ganesh Deoskar and others.
Pioneering efforts came from such dedicated and learned people like Prof. Hemchandra Das Gupta, Prof. Hiralal Roy, Prof. Satish Chandra Bhattacharyya, and many others, who introduced new disciplines and domains of engineering and changed the dimensions of colonial engineering education. Their work has been carried further by Dr. Triguna Sen, Prof. Hemchandra Guha, Prof. Karuna Roy, Prof. M. L. Schroff., Prof. Tuhin Roy, Prof. Gopal Chandra Sen and many others.
The University has been enriched by contributions from people like Prof. Sushil Kumar De, Prof. Amartya Sen, Prof. Ganesh Chandra Bose, Prof. Sudhindranath Datta, Prof. Buddhadev Bose, Prof. Gourinath Sastri, Prof. Susovan Chandra Sarkar, Prof. Subodh Chandra Sen Gupta, Prof. Prithwis Chandra Chakravorty, Prof. Panchanan Chakravorty, Prof. Prabhat Sarbadhikary, Prof. Prafulla Kumar Guha, Rev. S.J.Antoine, Prof. Bibhuti Bhusan Sen, Prof. Satyasundar Deb, Prof. Anil Kumar Majumdar, Prof. Syamadas Chatterjee, Prof. Bankim Chandra Mukherjee, Dr. Amitava Bhattacharyya, Dr. Jnan Saran Chatterjee, Prof. Sukumar Datta and many others who steered the early progress of the Arts and Science Faculties-the new additions to the original Faculty of Engineering Technology.
Prayukti Bhawan, 188, Raja Subodh Chandra Mallick Rd, Jadavpur University Campus Area, Jadavpur, Kolkata.
Nearest South City Mall / Jadavpur Police Station.
Google Map Location