department of tourism

government of west bengal

HOOGHLY

The district of Hooghly is just 47 km north of Kolkata and is steeped in history and heritage. Dotted with several small but important towns, the district is testimony to the rule of foreign settlers-the British and Portuguese at Hooghly, the Dutch at Chinsurah, the French at Chandannagar, and the Germans and Austrians at Bhadreswar. The Portuguese were the first to settle here in 1537, but were defeated by Shah Jahan in 1632. The British East India Company then followed and set up a factory here in 1651. Chandannagar (Chandannagar) was once a French colony and is still under the influence of French language and culture. Chinsurah was a Dutch settlement from 1656 to 1825. It was later exchanged by the Dutch for the British-held Indonesian island of Sumatra in 1825. The Hooghly, as the Ganga River is called here, dominates the landscape and people use ferries to cross from one town to another.
wbtourism Attractions & Activities
  • wbtourism
    Jagaddhatri Puja
    x

    HOOGHLY

    Jagaddhatri Puja

    wbtourism

    Jagaddhatri Puja is a major socio cultural event in this region. This culture was even elevated to the status of Durga Puja in Kolkata, clearly represents the Hindu custom here. The uniqueness of this Puja is the height of the idol and intricate and attractive lightings.

    Makar Sankranti was another festival of equal importance. It was the traditional beliefs that the prayers of those are fulfilled who take dip in the Tribeni Sangam.
    Mahesh is the principal fair held on the occasion of "Rathajatra". Printing Machine was first established in the district in the year of 1778 and the first Bengali book (Bengali version of A Grammar of the Bengali Language) was printed here. Thus the district is the onlooker of many first establishments, hence historically significant. Moreover the buildings of Hooghly are the lively embodiments of the ancient culture and tradition.

    Thus Hooghly is just after Bardhaman, which is economically and culturally affluent with a strong base of education.

    Google Map Location

  • wbtourism
    ANTPUR MATH
    x

    HOOGHLY

    ANTPUR MATH

    wbtourism

    Antpur Math was started in Hooghly in 1965 and affiliated in 1986. The center is situated in the birthplace of Swami Premananda, one of the foremost disciples of Sri Ramakrishna. At this place, young disciples of Sri Ramakrishna under the leadership of Swami Vivekananda took the vow of renunciation. This led to the formation of the Ramakrishna Math.

    The place is now preserved as Dhuni Mandap. The bass panel adorning the wall of the Mandap shows the nine disciples taking vow around a blazing fire and spending the major part of night meditating. Narendranath is shown delivering an inspiring speech on the life of Jesus Christ.

    Antpur, West Bengal 712424

    More..

    G
    oogle Map Location

  • wbtourism
    ANTPUR RADHAGOVINDJIU TEMPLE
    x

    HOOGHLY

    ANTPUR RADHAGOVINDJIU TEMPLE

    wbtourism

    The most famous temple in Antpur is that of Radha Govind Jiu with exquisite terracotta carvings depicting stories from all the 18 puranas. This 100 feet high temple was constructed by Krishna Ram Mitra, the Diwan of Bardhaman Raj in 1786 (1708 Shakabda). Its Chandi Mandap and Dol Mancha have beautifully crafted wood carvings. Besides the main temple of Radha Govind Jiu are the temples of Gangadhara, Fuleswara, Rameswara, Jaleswara and Baneswara.

    Antpur, West Bengal 712424

    Google Map Location

  • wbtourism
    KAMARPUKUR
    x

    HOOGHLY

    KAMARPUKUR

    wbtourism

    Kamarpukur, renowned all over the world as the birthplace of the great Indian saint Sri Ramakrishna is frequented by lakhs of visitors every year. Devotees and followers of (Thakur) Sri Ramakrishna visits Kamarpukur not only to pay their homage but also to get spiritually refreshed and elevated.

    Kamarpukur, synonymous with Sri Ramakrishna is now a small hamlet in the Hooghly district of West Bengal. It is the place where the great 19th century Indian philosopher Sri Ramakrishna was born in 1836 in a poor Brahmin family. With his advent and on account of the frequent visits of his disciples and devotees, this hamlet has now become a place of pilgrimage.

    Apart from being a pilgrimage site for the peace loving holy mind in search of spirituality, the natural beauty and calmness of Kamarpukur attract thousands of solitude seeking tourists to this place round the year. This small hamlet with signs of ancient prosperity still visible everywhere makes your spiritual journey all the more fascinating. It is the Kamarpukur Ramakrishna Math which has given Kamarpukur a permanent place in the tourist map of Bengal.

    Apart from the Kamarpukur Ramakrishna Math, there are many other attractions in this place including the ancestral home of Sri Ramakrishna, Raghubir Temple, Yogi's Siva temple, Haldar-Pukur and Manik Raja's Mango Grove. The temples in this city are really imposing and are places offering secluded worship. Temple of Gopeswar Siva, Dhani Kamarini's Temple and Mukundapur Siva Temple are some of them.

    How to Reach:
    By Air: Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport in Kolkata at a distance of about 95 Km is the nearest airport of Kamarpukur. From the airport one can hire pre-paid taxis or other vehicle to reach Kamarpukur or Jairambaiti (at a distance of about 103 Km) in less than 2 hours. Road conditions are pretty good.

    By Train: Neither Kamarpukur nor Jairambati has its own railway station. Tarakeswar railway station at a distance of about 50 Km from Kamarpukur is the nearest railhead. Plenty of local and express trains are available from Howrah and Sealdah railway stations in Kolkata to take you to Tarakeshwar in an hour. From Kamarpukur railway station one can hire vehicle of his choice to reach Kamarpukur in just one hour.
    Tarakeshwar railway station is about 50 km away from Kamarpukur. From Howrah local trains are available to reach Tarakeshwar. From Tarakeshwar taxi and bus services are available to reach Kamarpukur and Jairambaiti comfortably.

    By Road: From Kolkata bus services also connect Kamarpukur with Kolkata. During morning buses are available approximately after every one and half hour.
    From Burdwan one can reach Kamarpukur comfortably by road in just one and half hour. Private and state buses are available in every hour. Buses in the route of Burdwan to Ghatal, Burdwan to Haldia etc passes through Kamarpukur.

    More

    Google Map Location

  • wbtourism
    Gurap
    x

    HOOGHLY

    Gurap

    wbtourism

    Gurap is a historical place.It is a beautiful palace.It is only 50 km from kolkata and 37 km from Burdwan. Famous mathematician Kesob Chandra Nag was born here.There are many historical temple are there.

    The town of Gurap is about 70 km north of Kolkata in Hugli district. It is also a train station on the mainline train from Howrah to Bardhaman. The massive at-chala Nandadulal temple stands within a large temple complex situated a short walk from the train station. It was built in 1751 by Ramdeb Nag. The Nag zamindari family were well-established and wealthy patrons as evidenced by the several temples they built in Gurap. A more famous scion of this family is Keshab Chandra Nag, whose Bengali mathematics books were compulsory reading for many generations of students. The Nandadulal temple is a large at-chala temple with triple-arched entrance porch, and fully decorated facade. The style and quality of ornamentation is typical of 18th century temples.

    Nearby Places: Pandua , Memari , Tarakeswar , Chinsura . Location :This Place is in the border of the Hooghly District and Bardhaman District. Bardhaman District Jamal Pur is west towards this place.

    How To Reach: Gurap Rail Way Station , Hajigarh Rail Way Station are the very nearby railway stations to Gurap. How ever Burdwan Rail Way Station is major railway station 39 KM near to Gurap.

  • wbtourism
    Guptipara
    x

    HOOGHLY

    Guptipara

    wbtourism

    Guptipara in Chinsurah Subdivision of Hooghly, located beside the Hooghly River, has beautiful Teracotta temples. The temples of Guptipara boasts of a completely different style of architecture like thatched hut-shaped structures with terracotta carvings, the unique aatchala temple with colorful paintings and the ekratna or single pinnacled temples. Beside, Guptipara was once famous for being the home to Vaishnava culture.

    Guptipara is equally famous for gupo sandesh (variety of sandesh pieces) and makha sandesh (sandesh mixture) besides being the birth place of the famous singer Bhola Moira. But above all, it is the terracotta temples that are the biggest attractions of the place. Guptipara is famous for being the first place in West Bengal to start community Durga Puja.
    The biggest attractions of Guptipara are the four Vaishnava temples of Brindabanchandra, Chaitanya, Krishnachandra and Ramchandra which offers great pieces of architecture.
    Nearby attractions from Guptipara:  Bandel church at Bandel,  Kalna town and Bansberia.

    Festival : Rath Yatra is a grand affair in Guptipara with thousands of devotees taking part in the procession. Other Celebrations  Ras, Bhandarloot and Dol.
    How to reach Guptipara: Train : Howrah-Katwa local that takes some 1 hour and 45 minutes to reach Guptipara,  80 Km away from Kolkata. State Highway 6 connect to Guptipara from Kolkata via Jirat.

  • wbtourism
    Chandannagore Strand
    x

    HOOGHLY

    Chandannagore Strand

    wbtourism

    Chandannagore Strand is a beautiful tourist spot along the banks of the river Ganges. It is about 1 km in length and 7 m in width, and many buildings with historical importance surround the spot. This is a place where people love to take a walk and gaze at the sailing boats in far waters. This is the best decorated bank of the river, along its entire stretch. A meditation center has been also erected here.

    Strand Rd, Barabazar, Chandannagar, West Bengal 712136.

    Google Map Location

  • wbtourism
    TARKESHWAR
    x

    HOOGHLY

    TARKESHWAR

    wbtourism

    Tarakeshwar is a village and renowned pilgrimage centre, located in Hooghly District in the state of West Bengal. The town of Hooghly is located 58 kilometres away from Kolkata. Every year a number of devotees come here to seek blessings from Lord Shiva and other deities. The place is acknowledged as a pilgrimage of Shiva and most of the temples here are devoted to Lord Shiva.

    The famous Taraknath Temple in this village is one of the most visited temples in the town.The temple is dedicated to one of the forms of Lord Shiva,Taraknath.The temple is believed to be built in 1729 AD by Raja Bharamalla.

    There is a very famous legend about the origin of the lingam in the temple. A person called Vishnu Das and his brother came to Tarakeshwar from Ayodhya.Vishnu's brother unearthed a Shivalingam in the forest after his brother proved his innocence by holding a red hot iron before the locals of the town, when they were suspected for a bad deed. He later revealed that he had a dream of Lord Shiva instructing him to construct a temple at that place.

    The temple reflects the architecture of the local Bengali style, having an 'atchala' structure with a 'natmandir' that is a place dedicated to offer prayers, in front. The temple has a sanctum and verandah with three open spires with railings.

    The Tarakeshwar temple is a major Shaivite Pilgrim Centre, which comes under the twelve Jyotirlinga temples, and is dedicated to lord Shiva. The premise of the temple host shrines of Kali and Lakshmi-Narayan. The temple is most visited during the month of Shravan, which falls in the month of July or August.

    Maha Shivratri is an important festival celebrated in this town during the month of February-March. It is celebrated at the time of Lord Shiva's birthday. During the celebration, fairs become a major attraction of this town. Other festivals that attract tourists here are Bengali New Year or the Chaitra Sankranti festival.
    The nearest airport to Tarakeshwar is Kolkata Airport, which is connected to all the important cities of India like Delhi, Chennai and Mumbai. It is situated at a distance of 58 kilometres from Tarakeshwar. Tarakeshwar has its own railway station and is well connected to Howrah and other cities by rail. Tarakeshwar is connected with all the neighbouring cities of West Bengal by road.

    The best time to visit Tarakeshwar is between October and March, as this time is ideal for sightseeing and religious visits to the temples.

    Google Map Location

  • wbtourism
    Chandannagar Museum and Indo-French Institute
    x

    HOOGHLY

    Chandannagar Museum and Indo-French Institute

    wbtourism

    Chandannagar Museum and Indo-French Institute is an Indo-French cultural centre and museum. It was established in the 19th century by the then French Prime Minister Pompidre and Indian Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri. The center features various galleries, dedicated to the French East India Company, French furniture, French periodic administration as well as Indian art and crafts.
    The art gallery and museum was open to the public in the year 1956. The museum contains displays regarding the local history of Chandannagar, including the archaeological discoveries in the district since the Gupta period. Besides, the library contains information relating to the French administration in India.

    Strand Road, Chandernagore, Hooghly, West Bengal 712136.

    More

    Google Map Loction

  • wbtourism
    TRIVENI
    x

    HOOGHLY

    TRIVENI

    wbtourism

    Once upon a time, Triveni used to be the confluence of three rivers, the Ganges (Hooghly), The Saraswati and the Kunti. About 500 years ago, Kunti dried up, and about 800 years ago Swaraswati dried up. It was known as the port city of Saptagram then. Now, it is known as Bansberia. Triveni's greatest attraction is it twin temples of Ananta Basudev and Hansweshwari.

    Google Map Location

  • wbtourism
    DEBANANDAPUR
    x

    HOOGHLY

    DEBANANDAPUR

    wbtourism

    Debanandapur village is the birthplace of Katha Silpi Sarat Chandra Chattopadhyay, who was born on 15th September 1876. This village is one of the seven important villages, which formed the Sapta Gram during the Mughal era.

    The dwelling place of Sarat Chandra is still present there and is frequented by tourists year-round. A library named Sarat Smrithi Pathagar and a museum housing belongings of the famous writer is present there. Four atchala temples of the 19th century can also be found there. Tourists having archaeological interests can visit the old Dol Mancha within the premises.

    Debanandapur village is located 3 km west of the Bandel railway station. Auto services are available from the station to the village.

    Google Map Location

  • wbtourism
    PANDUA
    x

    HOOGHLY

    PANDUA

    wbtourism

    Pandua is best known for its minar and the ruins of Pandu Raja's Palace. The 13th century minar rises to a height of 125 feet.

    The mythology of Daksha yaga and Sati's self immolation had immense significance in shaping the ancient Sanskrit literature and even had impact on the culture of India. It led to the development of the concept of Shakti Pithes there by strengthening Shaktism. In Pandua, there lies a temple of this origin. Enormous mythological stories in puranas took the Daksha yaga as the reason for its origin. It is an important incident in Shaivism resulting in the emergence of Shree Parvati in the place of Sati Devi and making Shiva a grihastashrami (house holder) leading to the origin of Ganapathy and Subrahmanya. Shakti Pithes are shrines or divine places of the Mother Goddess. These are places that are believed to have been enshrined with the presence of Shakti due to the falling of Sati's body parts, when Lord Shiva or Mahadeva carried her corpse and wandered throughout Aryavartha in sorrow. There are 51 Shakti Pithes coresponding to the 51 alphabets in Sanskrit.

    The history of Pandua traces back from the time of Chalcolithic age. It was discovered that in Pandua, there existed the archaeological site of King Pandua's palace. In Pandu Raja's Palace, now ruined all important state ceremonies were held in ancient era. Later, in the medieval era, this place was captured by the Muslim rulers. Pandua is best known for its minar of 13th century, which soars to a height of 125 feet. It resembles the victory pillar of the Bengal conquest. Later in Pandua, there erected a mosque called Bari Mosque. Shahid Shah Safiuddin was the nephew of Feroz Shah Khilji the Sultan of Delhi of (Khalji Dynasty). It is said that Pandu Raja lived in Mahanad in Hooghly where cow slaughter was totally banned. However the Sultan settled in Pandua for the occasion of his son's circumcision (Khatnah) ceremony. So he had slaughtered a cow for feast to offer to his guests. This enraged the King and he sacrificed the saint's son to Goddess Kali. Shah Safiuddin went to Delhi and complained to the Firoz Shah Khilji about this horrific incident. The Sultan sent a large army under the command of Jaffar Khan Ghazi during (1290-1295 AD). Pandua was attacked and the imperial army of Khailji was victorious after a long battle. However Shah Safiuddin was fatally wounded. He was buried at the spot where he fell during the battle, with lot of respect and joy. There remains his Dargah near Pandua Grand Trunk Road. A mosque was also built later on this site.

    Pandua is famous for its ancient archaeological site: Pandu Rajar Dhibi, which is now located in Asugram of Bardhaman District. Another famous site in Pandua is the Victory Minar of Muslim ruler- Shahid Shah Safiuddin, who invaded and captured Bengal in 1300 AD. There also existed the burial ground of Shahid Shah Safiuddin, where there's a mosque and Bari Mosque, which is now in a dilapidated condition. These draw a number of tourists of national and international levels.

    Google Map Location

  • wbtourism
    BARI MOSQUE (PANDUA)
    x

    HOOGHLY

    BARI MOSQUE (PANDUA)

    wbtourism

    Pandua Bari Mosque is a long, low building established in 1300 AD. This masjid is a specimen of the typical brick style of Bengal. The building has dimension of 7041 m by 12.8 m. It has three aisles, with 21 door openings in front and three on the side. The roof has 63 small domes over brick arches resting on stone pillars that are influenced by Hindu architecture. Furthermore, the mosque also has a canopied platform.

    SH 13, Pandua, West Bengal 712149.


    Google Map Location

  • wbtourism
    Furfura Sharif
    x

    HOOGHLY

    Furfura Sharif

    wbtourism

    Furfura Sharif (also known as Furfura, Phurphura, Furfura Darbar Sharif) is a village in Jangipara Community Development Block of Serampore subdivision in the Hooghly District. It is a holy place for Muslims. The Masjid built by Muqlish Khan in 1375 is a site of Muslim pilgrimage, especially during the Pir mela. The Muslims of this region, it is believed, were chiefly Ashrafs, the descendants of Muslims who invaded Bengal in the 14th century. The Bagdi king was the ruler of this region then and he was defeated by Hazrat Shah Kabir Halibi and Hazrat Karamuddin. Though both of them were killed in the battle, both Hindus and Muslims visit their tombs here even toady.
    The most important place within Furfura Sharif is the Mazaar Sharif (Tomb) of Hazrat Abu Bakr Siddique (Rh) and his five sons, popularly known as the 'Panch Huzur Keblah'. Thousands of people from all over India come to visit their tombs every year. Hazrat Abu Bakr was born in 1846 in Furfura-Sharif. He was a social and religious reformer, so he was also known as 'Mujaddid-e-Zaman'. He founded many charitable institutes, orphanages and free health centers. He was also a great educationist who realized that it is through education he can free the society of all evils and so he founded several madrasas, schools and learning centers.

  • wbtourism
    BANDEL CHURCH
    x

    HOOGHLY

    BANDEL CHURCH

    wbtourism

    The Basilica of the Holy Rosary commonly known as Bandel Church is one of the oldest Christian churches in West Bengal. Bandel Church is a Roman Catholic Church situated in Bandel, Hooghly district. On November 25, 1988, Pope John Paul II declared the sanctuary a minor basilica.

    Bandel, (the name came from the Bengali word "bandar" which means "port") appears to have been the port of Hooghly at the time of Portuguese and Mughals. The only relics of the Portuguese settlement are the Church (Basilica) and the monastery. The present church and monastery are said to be built in 1660 by Gomez de Soto having the key stone of the old church bearing the date 1599 over the eastern gate of the Monastery.

    In front of the Church stands a ship's mast which was presented by the captain of a vessel which had encountered a storm in the Bay of Bengal and save by the grace of Virgin, the center of attraction. There is the statue of" One Lady of Happy Voyage" in the middle of the church. The church has three altars, a small organ and several tomb stones.

    How to Reach: Bandel (Jn) station is the main station which is connected with Howrah-Burdwan main line. From Howrah Bandel Local, Pandua Local, Burdwan Local and Katwa Local and Memari Local have stopage at Bandel Station. Bandel is also connected with the Naihati (Jn) Station of Sealdah section by Bandel-Naihati Local. Launch Service is available from Naihati Ferry Ghat to Chinsurah Ferry Ghat from 6 a.m.to 10 p.m.

    Google Map Location

  • wbtourism
    Hooghly Imambara
    x

    HOOGHLY

    Hooghly Imambara

    wbtourism

    Imambara, built by Hazi Mohammad Mohsin, is situated on the bank of River Ganga in Chinsurah. The construction of the building started in the year 1841 and was completed in 1861. The two storied building consists of several rooms and has a wide entrance, with the main gate flanked by two 80 ft tall towers and a massive clock tower between them.

    The walls are decorated with texts from Holy the Koran and decorated with marbles, candle and lanterns. The mosque is situated north of the building and in the south there are graves of Mohammad Mohsin and his relatives.

    The place is located close to the Hooghly railway station on the Howrah-Bandel main line. Tourists can hire rickshaws to reach the place.

    Imambara Road, Chowk Bazar, Olaichanditala, Hooghly, West Bengal 712103.

    How to Reach: Frequently suburban train services to the all towns are available from Howrah Station. Nearest railway station is Bandel. Every town in the Hooghly district is easily accessible by road from Kolkata.

    Google Map Location

  • wbtourism
    SERAMPORE
    x

    HOOGHLY

    SERAMPORE

    wbtourism

    The town is several centuries old and has witnessed both the growth and decline of the feudal system, the coming of the Danes and their settlement and then a cultural renaissance (known as the Bengal Renaissance) initiated by the British following the construction of the east Indian railway, along with subsequent industrial development.

    About 25 kms north of Kolkata, Serampore is one of the few places in India that was coloniased by Denmark from 1756 to 1845. The town shot to fame with the educational activities of English Missionaries like William Carey, Joshua Marshman and William Ward. Serampore College was founded by Carey, when the first Bengali newspaper 'Samachar Darpan" was published and on display at the museum attached to the College are copies of various Bibles and Bengali books translated by Carey and printed here. Also on the display is the Royal Charter from Denmark of 1827 that granted university status to the College long before the University of Calcutta was established. "Maaesher Rath" of Serampore is famous world-wide.

    This place is on the west bank of River Hooghly and well connected with Kolkata by rail and road. Distance between Kolkata and Serampore is just 24 km. It has developed into a major business and trade centre in the Hooghly district.

    Google Map Location

  • wbtourism
    SABUJ DWIP
    x

    HOOGHLY

    SABUJ DWIP

    wbtourism

    Sabuj Dwip is an attractive winter picnic spot in the Hooghly district of West Bengal. The place filled with greenery at the middle of the water can refresh you. The place is near Bolagarh and Somrabazaar station at Hooghly. The place is at the meeting point of Behula and Hooghly River.

    Sabuj Dwip is a magnificent picnic spot run by Hooghly Zila Parishad and WBSFDC. The place is situated at a distance of 75 km from Kolkata. It is an islet located near Balagarh at the confluence of Behula and Hooghly rivers. Spanning over an area of 180 bigha, Sabuj Dwip Picnic Spot is dotted with pine, palm, eucalyptus, teak, Mahogany and other trees. The picnic spot hosts a children's park, flower garden, restaurant and a view tower. You can also go for a boat ride in the river.

  • wbtourism
    CHINSURAH
    x

    HOOGHLY

    CHINSURAH

    wbtourism

    The Portuguese founded the town of Ugulim, now Hooghly-Chuchura, in 1579, but the district has thousands of years of heritage in the form of the great kingdom of Bhurshut. The city flourished as a trading port and some religious structures were built. One such structure is a church dedicated to a charismatic statue of the Mother Mary brought by the Portuguese.
    In the 17th century, political disorder struck the city and the Mughal governor of Bengal expelled the Portuguese. The fleeing Portuguese lost the statue in the river, but local people later found it on the river bank. The arrested Portuguese were taken to Delhi where a death sentence of trampling by elephants was decreed. When the emperor Shah Jahan heard this he ordered the priests released and granted a piece of land on the bank of the river Hoogly where the statue of the Mother Mary was reestablished. There the Portuguese constructed a church to house the statue, which still receives pilgrims today. The church was renovated in 1980s and has been declared as a basilica by the authority of Rome.
    In 1656 the Dutch erected a factory on the site of the town. At that time Calcutta was the principal settlement in Dutch Bengal, being used as a base for the Dutch intra-Asian opium trade.
    In 1759 the garrison of Chinsurah, on its march to Chandernagore, attacked a British force under Colonel Forde. The Battle of Chinsurah lasted less than half an hour and ended with the rout of the Dutch attackers. In 1795, during the Napoleonic wars, a British garrison occupied the settlement. The peace of 1814 restored Hughli to the Dutch. However, in 1825, the Dutch ceded many of their possession in India to the British, in exchange for the British possessions in Sumatra.
    Google Map Location

  • wbtourism
    Dutch Cemetry
    x

    HOOGHLY

    Dutch Cemetry

    wbtourism

    Dutch Cemetery is an Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) - protected site. The cemetery contains an assortment of graves scattered under the shade of ancient trees. The oldest date back to 1743 while the newest one was laid in 1840.

    Built by Louis Taillefert, then director of the VOC in Bengal, the cemetery was active during the 18th 19th centuries, and houses about 45 graves of Dutch citizens who died between 1743 and 1846. The oldest tomb belongs to Sir Cornelius Jonge who died in Chinsurah in 1743. Other prominent people buried here are Daniel Overbeck, Gregorious Herklots, a high official in the VOC, and George Vernet, another VOC director. The latter's tomb has no inscription.

    Chinsurah R S, Hooghly, West Bengal 712101.

    More

    Google Map Location

  • wbtourism
    Chinsurah Clock Tower (Ghorirmor)
    x

    HOOGHLY

    Chinsurah Clock Tower (Ghorirmor)

    wbtourism

    Ghorir More: This 19th century Gothic tower, imported by the British in memory of King Edward VI, is Chinsurah’s iconic landmark. Crafted in cast iron, its clock in working condition, Ghorir More, as it is popularly known, stands at the intersection of four important streets.
    EDWARDVS VII DEI GRA BRITT OMN REX which is the Latin abbreviation for Edward the Seventh, by the Grace of God, King of All Britain Defender of the Faith. These are the inscription which people often do not notice when the cross the small clock tower in Chinsurah. Most just simply call it the “Ghorir More” (Clock Crossing) due to its presence at a four-point crossing.
    Chinsurah was part of the East India Company and under the Dutch it was the Dutch East India Company. Once one of the jewels in the crown this small town had its good share of glorious past and one such example is the Edwardian Clock Tower that sits right in the middle of the road.
    Ghorir More, Chinsurah R S, Hooghly, West Bengal 712101.

    Google Map Location

  • wbtourism
    HANGSESWARI TEMPLE
    x

    HOOGHLY

    HANGSESWARI TEMPLE

    wbtourism

    At Hangseswari Temple is located in Bansberia in Hooghly district. This 21 m high 19th century temple has 13 towers. The top of each tower is shaped as a lotus flower.  The main deity is made up of blue-neem wood. The five storey idol of Ira, Pingala, Bajraksha, Sushumna and Chitrini follows the structure of a human body.

    It is located near the Tribeni Railway Station which is on the Howrah-Katwa mainline. From the railway station, tourists can take auto rickshaws and cycle rickshaws to reach the temple.

    Bansberia, Mithapukur More, West Bengal 712502.

    Google Map Location

  • wbtourism
    Susana Anna Maria's tomb
    x

    HOOGHLY

    Susana Anna Maria's tomb

    wbtourism

    Just outside the town of Chinsurah or Chuchura, on the Grand Trank Road (G T Rd.) is the temple styled grave of Susana Anna Maria. Susanna Anna Maria was a Dutch lady married to an Englishman named Mr. Yeats, although nothing much is known about the lady or her husband. Built in 1809, the octagonal structure is an ideal example of Indo–Dutch architecture. The two storied structure, with arched gateways and slender columns is crowned with a dome. The tomb contains no epitaph but the name Susanna Anna Maria is inscribed in the drum of the dome.

  • wbtourism
    ANANTABASUDEB MANDIR
    x

    HOOGHLY

    ANANTABASUDEB MANDIR

    wbtourism

    Ananta Basudeba temple is a temple of Lord Krishna in the Hangseshwari temple complex in Banshberia, in the Hooghly District in the Indian state of West Bengal. Built by Raja Rameswar Datta in 1679, this temple is noted for the exquisite terracotta works on its walls. It is built in the traditional eka-ratna style, with curved cornices. The tower on top of the temple is octagonal. The terracotta works depict stories from the great Indian epics Ramayana and Mahabharata, as well as from the lilas of Krishna.

    Raja Rameswar Roy built this Vishnu Temple in 1679. He received this piece of land, 401 acres from Aurangazeb as gift. The temple architecture style is the charchala ekratna style of Bengal architecture. With passage of time the place and temple lost its significance. Rameshwar Roy's grandson believed more in Tantrik (occult) powers and he built the Hangseswari temple just beside the Basudev Temple in 1799.

    Google Map Location

  • wbtourism
    ANANDAMAYEE TEMPLE
    x

    HOOGHLY

    ANANDAMAYEE TEMPLE

    wbtourism

    Anandamayee Sakthi Pitha is also known as Ratnavali Sakthi Pitha is among the 51 Shakti Pithas of Sati. It is said that, the right shoulder of Goddess Sati fell here, when Lord Vishnu in order to relieve Lord Shiva from the grief of losing his wife Sati, used his Sudarshan Chakra to incise Sati's body. At the place where of her right Shoulder fell, this temple was constructed. It is a famous Hindu temple.

    Ratnavali Shakti Pitha is among the 51 Shakti Pithas of Ma Sati. It is said that, the right shoulder of Sati fell here, when Lord Vishnu in order to relieve Lord Shiva from the grief of losing his wife Sati, used his Sudarshan Chakra to incise Sati's body. Then, at the place of fall of Right Shoulder, this temple was constructed. Ratnavali Shakti Pitha is situated in Khanakul-Krishnanagar (on the banks of Ratnakar River); district Hooghly. Here the idol of Maa Sati is called Kumari and the Lord Shiva is worshipped as Bhairav. Just near the temple flows the flamboyant Hooghly River, and an evening stroll on the banks of this river is worth going for.

    Google Map Location

  • wbtourism
    BANDEMATARAM BHAVAN
    x

    HOOGHLY

    BANDEMATARAM BHAVAN

    wbtourism

    Bandemataram House is situated at Joraghat. The national song of India "Bandemataram" was composed in this house by the great literary figure Rishi Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay when he was posted as Magistrate here.

    Vande Mataram, penned by novelist Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay, is the country's national song but the house he wrote it in is nowhere on the state government's radar.
    The state heritage commission has asked the government for Rs 30 lakh to restore the nearly 200-year-old single-storeyed house locally known as Vande Mataram Bhavan at Joraghat in Hooghly's Chinsurah.

    The building, bought by the government in 1996, has been unoccupied for the last 12 years since it ceased to be the office of the information and cultural affairs department.
    Situated on a bigha on the banks of the Hooghly, the building's main gate has fallen apart and walls are agape with wide cracks. The neighbourhood fears it will collapse as trees and plants have sprouted all over.

    Bankim Chandra also wrote Krishnakanter Will' and Rajani in the same house.

    Chinsurah R S, Hooghly, West Bengal 712101.

    Google Map Location


  • wbtourism
    SHANDERSWARTALA TEMPLE
    x

    HOOGHLY

    SHANDERSWARTALA TEMPLE

    wbtourism

    Shanderswartala Temple is the oldest temple in Chinsurah. It is about 5 km away from the Chinsurah railway station. The temple is situated on the bank of the river Ganges, north of the Dutta Ghat. The temple was established by Sidheswar Roychoudhury after the Lingam of Shiva was placed by Digambar Halder in the 16th century.

    This Temple has a 'Dhak' made of brass, which was presented by the Dutch Governor of that time and is still used. There is also Durga Temple which was established in the year 1845.

  • wbtourism
    Suakhal Rajhat
    x

    HOOGHLY

    Suakhal Rajhat

    wbtourism

    Suakhal Rajhat, a secluded picnic spot in the Hooghly district can offer a great weekend trip destination near Kolkata within 100 kilometres. Sometimes, finding the right picnic spot is the most difficult thing, more so when you picnic a lot. Surprise your friends and family by taking them to a tranquil, beautiful picnic spot in Hooghly. Yes, Suakhala Rajhat picnic spot in Hooghly district has proper infrastructures like water and sanitation, and at the same time, is far from the madding crowd! Also, it can be easily plied to and from Kolkata within one day; The distance of Suakhal Rajhat from kolkata is just around 50 kilometres by road.

    Adi Saptagram Station, Zilla Parisad Bhavan, Chinchura.

  • wbtourism
    NEW DIGHA (PICNIC SPOT)
    x

    HOOGHLY

    NEW DIGHA (PICNIC SPOT)

    wbtourism

    New Digha is an ideal picnic place for those who reside in the Hooghly district or near Chandannagar. New Digha is near Kolkata and Howrah also. With the help of Zilla Parishad of Hooghly, many picnic spots are developed near the French colony of Chandannagar and New Digha is one them. New Digha is located very close to Chandannagar rail station and there are 225 picnic spots, each accommodating nearly 20 people. People can enjoy their weekends here all facilities of enjoyments are present in New Digha.

    Boating facilities, Planetarium, Toy Train, restaurants, Columbus boat, Dumping Zed Hawk, Mickey Mouse etc. are available in New Digha. Each picnic spots are chargeable which is very nominal. Bungalows are also available here on paying extra charge. Night stays in the bungalows are not permitted.

    Scenic beauty of New Digha is excellent. DVC canal flows through the picnic spots. Cooking utensils are also available here at a cheap rate.

    Nearest Chuti Park, Disneyland Park, Chandannagare, Chandannagar Strand, Bandel Church, KMDA Park.

    Nearest Railways Station Chandannagare.

    Google Map Location

  • wbtourism
    WONDER LAND PARK
    x

    HOOGHLY

    WONDER LAND PARK

    wbtourism

    Wonder Land Park is a nice picnic spot situated at Chandannagar in the district of Hooghly. The green view of the park is bound to refresh the minds of city people. There are three small lakes surrounding the park.

    The other attractions at Wonder Land Park are toy trains, slips, swings and many others. Toilet and drinking water facility is available at Wonder Land Park.
    Picnic at Wonder Land Park is chargeable.

    Wonder Land Park can be reached by train. Get down at Chandannagar station and from there rickshaws are available. Chandannagar is in Howrah-Burdwan main line train route.

    Deshpara, Near Diara Railway Station,Hooghly district, Diara, West Bengal 712223.

    Google Map Location

  • wbtourism
    MAYUR MAHAL
    x

    HOOGHLY

    MAYUR MAHAL

    wbtourism

    Mayur Mahal is one of the best picnic spots in Hooghly district with historical values. Mayur Mahal is located 4 km away from Rajhaat. Near Mayur Mahal, there is another park named Suwakhal Sanglagna Paryatan Kendra where visitors can see how water, wind and sun are tapped to produce energy.

    Dhuliara, West Bengal 712502.

    Google Map Location

  • wbtourism
    KMDA PARK
    x

    HOOGHLY

    KMDA PARK

    wbtourism

    KMDA Park is another famous picnic spot at Chandannagar, situated very close to Chandannagar rail station. KMDA Park is also known as Wonderland Park. This park can accommodate nearly 120 picnic parties at a time. Entry fee is applicable in this park. The flowers, beautiful scenery of the park attract people from Kolkata. The other necessary facilities of picnic spots like rooms for visitors, large seminar hall are available in KMDA Park. Visitors can spend the night here at KMDA Park.

    Guchaitpara, Chandannagar, West Bengal 712136.

    Google Map Location

  • wbtourism
    MATRI NIWAS
    x

    HOOGHLY

    MATRI NIWAS

    wbtourism

    Hooghly district has many beautiful picnic spots and Matri Niwas is one of those spots. Matri Niwas is located near Bandel in Hooghly and the location is very near to Kolkata, about 50 km. from Kolkata. City dwellers can enjoy the mango plantations, lichi garden, scenic beauty and peaceful surroundings of this spot. Rabbits, cranes, guinea pigs, turkeys, peacocks attract children here in this spot. Tents and small cottage facilities are available here. Entry fee per head is applicable to enter the garden. 

    Google Map Location

  • wbtourism
    SUAKHAL TOURIST COMPLEX
    x

    HOOGHLY

    SUAKHAL TOURIST COMPLEX

    wbtourism

    Suakhal Tourist Complex is located near Adi Saptagram rail station in the Hooghly district. All the features required for a good picnic spot are present in Suakhal Tourist Complex park, children garden, river for boating, small botanical garden, cottage, guest house, conference hall are all available.  Adi Saptagram can be reached by local trains.

    Google Map Location

  • wbtourism
    BANABITHI PARK
    x

    HOOGHLY

    BANABITHI PARK

    wbtourism

    Banabithi Park is another picnic spot in Hooghly district. This park is situated at Bhadreswar which is near Kolkata. Main features of Banabithi Park are garden of fruits and flowers, Children Park, paddle boat and many more. Picnic parties do not need to carry cooking utensils at Banabithi Park. Cooking utensils and catering services are available at Banabithi Park. Car parking space is also available here at Banabithi Park.

    Khurigachi Natunpara, Champdani, West Bengal 712124.

    More

    Google Map Location

wbtourism How to Reach
By Air: Nearest airport is Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport.

By Train: Frequent suburban Train services to all the towns are available from Howrah Station.

By Road: Every town in the Hooghly district is easily accessible by road from Kolkata.
wbtourism Accommodation
  • WBTDC Tarakeswar Tourist Lodge

    Guest House Road, Mandir Para, Pin-712410, Post Office: Tarakeswar, District: Hooghly
    Contact No.: (03212) 279332
    Mobile - 09732509927
    Email: tarakeswartouristlodge@gmail.com

Department of Tourism
Government of West Bengal

New Secretariat Building
1, K. S. Roy Road, 3rd Floor,
Kolkata - 700001,
Phone : 033-2225 4723/4724/4725/4565
E-Mail : wbtourismpublicity1@gmail.com